Setting small, attainable goals for yourself each and every day is something I strive to accomplish when I wake up in the morning. Being a college student can seem completely impossible most days, but having something to look forward to in the end is what will give you the outcome you desire. Although my goals typically change each week, here are some goals that I have set for myself in the next year:
- Get an internship in Detroit: I have always been so drawn to the city of Detroit, even if I hate Michigan weather with all my guts. The city is constantly transforming into something new and the amount of opportunities in front of you when standing in that city is incredible. As previously mentioned, I am extremely interested in internal communications and being able to do that for a corporate company in the city of Detroit is something that I have dreamed about since I have indulged myself in studying public relations. Another goal of mine that ties along with this is to get a full-time job after graduation with a corporate company taking the steps to become the director of internal communications in Detroit.
- Become the Social Media Intern for Greek Life: Recently, I have been offered an interview to become the social media intern for CMU’s Greek Life. This opportunity popped up in my life out of nowhere and it just made so much sense for me to apply. I am so passionate about the Greek community and being able to apply my skills in public relations to not only my chapter, but the Panhellenic community as a whole would be a dream come true.
- Make enough money to live in satisfactory: Yes, I know that everything is not about money. However as a college student, there are so many things that I want to do before I graduate that I never seem to have the money for. I would love to get a job in Mount Pleasant that is flexible with my schedule enough to the point where I can do good work and earn the money in return in order to be able to accomplish the things I want to do. I am always wanting to give more than I can to philanthropies on campus or wanting to go on weekend trips with my friends or even just go out to a movie instead of staying in all the time. It is the moments that I cherish, and I would love to share more of those moments with the people I care about.
- Compete in Sigma Chi’s Derby Day pageant: I have been performing in front of strangers my entire life and continue to to this day. But for some reason, I have always been so insanely shy and scared to perform in front of a group of people that I do know. Each year, a fraternity on campus, Sigma Chi, hosts an extremely intense pageant between the sororities for their philanthropy week, Derby Days (which raises money for cancer research). This fall I want to push myself and step out of my comfort zone and be able to dance in front of people that I am friends with. It may be frightening but that is the only way you face your fears!
- Settle down after graduation: While I would like a full-time job after graduation somewhere in the Detroit or Grand Rapids area, I would love to have my own place and by a dog. I know that it sounds kind of lame but I think that it would be so good for me to live on my own, work the job of my dreams (hopefully) and have a furry little companion by my side.